When you go on vacation, all you want to do is relax. You're there to escape the anxiety that plagues your everyday life. Unfortunately, you can't expect the world to pause just because you're on a break. Your phone is still full of sensitive information, and there are plenty of hackers who want it all for themselves.
Before You Leave Home
There a number of ways to protect your data before you even leave your house. Take the following steps to secure your information:
- Update your phone. Keep your software security, operating system, and choice of web browser up-to-date.
- Keep quiet on social media. Don't post about where you are or what you're doing. Hackers are great at using the tiniest bits of information.
- Delete your history. Clear both your browser history and your cache. Erase all of your stored passwords while you're at it.
- Set up strong authentication. Enable two-factor authentication and any other security measures that you can. There's nothing wrong with extra security.
While You're on Vacation
The measures you took before the vacation was good, but they're not enough. You've just established the first line of defense. Now it's time for the next wave:
- Take only what is necessary. You don't need to bring along every last device that you own. Keep some back at home.
- Don't use public Wi-Fi. If you do, stay away from any sensitive data or accounts that may be on your phone.
- Password protect your devices. Better yet, enable a physical unlock gesture like a finger swipe or a fingerprint scan.
- Enable a "find my phone" feature on another device. If your phone gets stolen, it'll allow you to track it down. Once you find it, wipe the device clean.
Those are just a few ways to keep your phone and data safe while you're on vacation. For more tips on securing your digital information, contact our team of IT experts today!